What made you decide to be a veterinarian/veterinary nurse?
- I have always been fascinated by all kinds of animals, and have dreamed of working with them since when I was very young. I was always reading books on animals, watching documentaries, and loved going to zoos and aquariums. When studying Zoology and Marine Biology at uni and then zookeeping at Taronga and Western Plains Zoos, my focus was on larger, wild animals and conservation. After that, I found myself wanting to learn more about the animals that were closest to us in our everyday lives – dogs, cats and pocket pets, and there is no other job that lets me do that more than Vet Nursing!
Which aspect of the job do you love most?
- Being a vet nurse, I get to meet all the new additions to the family (cute kittens and puppies!), the golden oldies, and everyone in-between. I love how this job allows me to build relationships with these pets and their owners, and also gives me the opportunity to share the special bond that people have with their pets. It is fulfilling when I am able to help them through both the good times and the sad times.
Do you have any pets? Tell us something special about your pets!
- My fur-family currently includes five rescue cats – Sora, Daichi, Rusty, Chibi and November. Daichi, Rusty and November are very passionate about food and treats! The three of them are on the chubby side so are currently on a diet. Sora is all about napping – throughout the day, you’ll find him following the sun and napping in the warmest places. Chibi is the youngest and definitely the cheekiest. She is supposed to have a quiet lifestyle as she was born with a rare heart condition, but this proves to be very difficult as she loves all toys and is always wanting to play with her older fur-siblings.
What are your favourite activities for your spare time?
- I like being in nature so I enjoy going on different walks and hikes around Sydney. In cold and rainy weather, hanging out with my cats on the couch and binge-watching a good TV series would be my go-to!
If you could be an animal, what would you be and why?
- If I could be an animal, I would be a dolphin – I would love to swim as freely as them in the ocean, they are also intelligent and altruistic.